Friday, November 20, 2015

First week in the MTC

August 14, 2015

Hey everyone!! 

It's been a long week so far! But I'm glad it's finally P-Day!!

Day 1: It sucks soooo bad!!! I got my companion... His name is Elder Castillo and he's from Chandler Arizona. He's a really cool guy and I'm lucky he's my companion because our district is rough! They threw us in a classroom for 6 hour but it felt like a year I'm serious. One of the Elders in our district is semi autistic but we work with him and are super patient with him. He has the strongest testimony and it's so cool that he's serving a mission still. I feel like it's kind of pointless for me to be here because I know everything we're learning because of my wonderful parents, ward, mission prep classes, and seminary but its ok I'm still learning how to better connect and teach with the spirit! The showers are freezing cold which is awful because I basically get hypothermia every time because we all know I need to put on a few pounds. The food is good though so hopefully that will help a little bit. Our trainers are awesome and really know how to work with us teenage kids. It's a huge change and sacrifice but other peoples eternal happiness is more important than my temporary happiness and comfort.

Day 2: I MISS HOME!!!! I wanted to come home today more than ever because I miss my family, friends, and girlfriend all sooo much. But in district meeting we all shared a  little bit about ourselves and realized how much easier my journey here and in life has been than others in my district. Two of the sister Missionaries are the only members in their families and got disowned before they came to the MTC. One Elder is partially autistic and and struggles but we are really patient and work with him. Another Elder only has one arm and struggles to function every day and another Sister worked 3 jobs to help pay for college at the Y and then come on a mission. After hearing all that I realized how selfish and ungrateful I have been for such a wonderful life! I am so blessed to have made it here with perfect health and a supportive family. I got to see Dallin today and I guess he has an appointment at the barbershop here to shave his head?  Anyway he told me it gets easier and that you've just gotta make it to Sunday. 6 of the 10 kids in my district are going to Salt Lake so they just all ask me what places are fun and where to eat so I'm glad I can help them realize that Utah isn't as bad as they all think.

Day 3: We had an amazing lesson today on teaching the people not the lesson. You can't just force information down their throats you have to teach them stories and principles that they can relate to and help them better feel the Spirit that way. It was new to some of the Sisters and Elders but I've always been able to relate to people and hold good conversations so it's easy to me. I've seen the power of prayer a ton lately! I've been missing you all so much and I've been praying for comfort and reassurance. It's crazy how often I'll find the perfect scripture to calm my nerves or motivate me right after I pray. But today something pretty cool happened...I was going to lunch and really needed some motivation so I prayed for some help. No Joke one minute later Brig walks around the corner and said exactly what I needed to hear! Seeing a familiar face made it seem less foreign and more like home! P-days are great!! Less classes and free time from 1:00-5:00 pm so look for emails from me around then. If you catch me at the right time we can probably chat back and forth for a while.

Well guys I'm signing off for the day but I want you all to know that the Gospel is great and that true happiness is found through living its teachings. I've experienced that first hand. My testimony has Grown soo much and I'm so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life! I miss you guys and appreciate everything everyone did for me. Thanks for your support!! We got the mail for the first time today because we just got our district leaders so sorry if I haven't gotten back to you! Love you all and if you ever get tired of hearing from me just let me know and I'll take you off the list! I promise it wont offend me.  I know how repetitive these emails can get! Also I'd love to hear from all of you!

Elder Jensen
The Provo Temple on the day I entered the MTC, August 12, 2015.
At the MTC with my family, being welcomed by Brigham Jackson.
Dallin Holding and I at the MTC